Monday, November 5

A Dose Of Culture

I have no excess to Internet connection at home, my dam phone line is faulty, the technician had to rewire it again.... arghhhh .. but, my weekend was great!!

Took mom for her final birthday treat over the weekend. On Saturday night, a musical gamelan with a twist of pop beat to it. It was a good show and mom got a crush on a young violinist.... cough *cradle snatcher* cough.... lol.

We had Sunday brunch at Mak Yah place (my aunt) and later proceed to the Esplanade Art Centre, for a Javanese dance performance none other by Wiro Widodo. Classic dance with narration in the true form Javanese language, that even my mom lost in translation, intertwine with techno music for that contemporary feels.

The dance depicts the struggle of a Javanese man both emotionally, physically and his relation with women. The dancers were graceful and mesmerizing. Each flick of the fingers, the movement of the arm, the sway of the sarong (long skirt worn by both gender) has its own meaning, that is left to the audience own interpretation. I was envious by their swan like movement. My only regret not understanding a word of the language, being third generation Javanese learning the mother tongue slip out of mind... sigh... and its not an easy language to learn either...

As we were waiting for a cab home at the Fullerton Hotel, much to our surprise and others, walking out from the hotel lobby, the most important family in Singapore... the current Prime Minister, Mr Lee Hsien Loong and his parent (his father was the first Prime Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew), with their entourage of security guards and guests. The Prime Minister in his batik shirt, stood next to mom, smile and said hello. I think mom was trying hard not to faint....lol as she managed a shy hello. I was tempted to snap the family photo but at the risk of the security guard tossing my phone away........uhhh.. I changed my mind. It's not everyday the ordinary folks, gets a chance to be up close to the family who runs this country and I have to say.. I'm still smiling just thinking about it.

Its been a great weekend for both of us. Considering its the first time, I attended the dance recital and having Javanese blood, I'm glad I get a dose of culture appreciation with my mom.


No comments: